Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Planning Phase

Naked Interior
Having a new truck leaves me to contemplating equipment installation. This is essentially the same interior I had in my previous truck. The main difference now is, I intend to install an HF rig along with my UHF/VHF equipment. Yes, that could be one rig but I intend to have two. One will be my Yaesu FT-857D for HF and my UHF/VHF will be my trusty Kenwood TM-D700A. I'm looking forward to running APRS again. I find myself a bit...well...particular on where cables and antennas are placed. I prefer a clean install and everything but the important parts need to be out of sight.

My previous installation worked, but I think I can do a bit better. So, I'm looking at all aspects of the cockpit so as to decide on the most user friendly set up. I was thinking of trying to obscure the rigs but at the end of the day, any permanent antenna's will give it away, that something electronic is inside. So now it will be what works best without interfering with the front seat passenger or my operating room.  

Now that the weather is getting warm, it's time to complete the planning phase and move to the installation phase. It can be hard to drill holes in a new truck but being a ham, I don't give it much thought anymore. I just need to find my darn drill bits...


No comments:

Post a Comment