Monday, November 30, 2015

CQ World Wide CW Contest 2015

QRP Setup
The holiday were pretty busy but I had to take a few minutes to turn on the QRP rig and make a handful of QSO's. I was limited to 10 & 20 meters. I heard so many stations I could not work, but it was fun listening to the excitement on the bands. Even with indoor antenna's, there were some very awesome stations out there. I heard D4B and EF8R on 20 meters with respectable signals with my set up. Stations well over 5,000 miles away were coming through the speaker connected to my Icom IC-703Plus. Simply amazing! And the strongest station I heard on 10 (and worked) was XE2B! For me to work stations with my current station, those on the other end do most of the work. Stations are more patient the last day of the contest, so it's a bit easier for QRP stations to find their way into logbooks abroad. That was the case for me on Sunday. A few contacts are better then no contacts. 

On a sad note, I was shocked to hear of the recent passing of Rich, KL7RA. While in Alaska, Rich was extremely helpful in building my contesting skills even from hundreds of miles away. Rich invited me into the Alaska contest group and he and the group helped me in so many ways. It was great to meet up with Rich last year at Dayton. Rich had a way with words and he was always there to help. I regret not getting down to Rich's station to operate after being invited. Rich had an amazing station and had a group of first class operators giving out Zone 1 in most of the major contests. His signal and wit will be sadly missed. I mentioned the AK group in my old blog many a time as all of them helped me to take contesting to the next level. Thanks Rich for all the fond memories and help over the years! RIP my friend! 

1 comment:

  1. Hola Phil!

    Kudos for the nice blog you have, and thanks for the nice 2015 QSO! looking forward to contact you on the oncoming CQ WW CQW 2016.
    73

    ReplyDelete