Thursday, May 7, 2015

My Last CQ Is On The Horizon

Latest CQ Savings Pitch
For many years, I've enjoyed CQ Magazine. For many years, I've thoroughly enjoyed CQ sponsored contests. But like many, I've wondered about CQ Magazine over the last year or so. Subscription issues, which for me personally have included missed subscriptions, extremely late issues and communication problems. My last renewal was for three years but I just don't find it in my heart to renew.  From my missing issues to what seems to be no real explanation for continuing problems (other than some comments in regards to delivery issues), I feel I have no choice but to end my subscription. Money is tight these days and I can use it elsewhere. As an investor, if companies that I owned stock in started to show these types of problems, I'd sell. Any good investor would tell you the same. It's obvious CQ's issue has been financial in nature but so is my decision. I feel I'm not getting what I pay for, period.    

I wish for nothing more than for CQ to pull through and I know I'm not helping by not subscribing. But I have to do what's best for me and until CQ appears solid again, I'll use the money for other ham radio related activities or organizations. I've financially invested in life time memberships and other lifetime subscriptions only to have those organizations or software developers fold and go out of business. CQ has been one of the best magazines out there for as long as I can remember. From Popular Communications to CQ Plus and then to CQ VHF, we've seen lots of things appear and go away. Things appeared to have spiraled downward beginning in December of 2013 and actually even before. Our hobby has seen many changes over the years and this is just another. I applaud those involved with CQ in attempting to keep it going but they will have to continue without me. I will continue to participate in contests as time allows.  

Still to this day, it's hard for me to believe that there is a ham market for $10,000 HF rigs but great magazines like CQ struggle to keep alive...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment