Tuesday, March 10, 2015

As Luck Would Have It


Digital Tuesday (Wednesday)
I saw plenty of JT65 activity on 20 meters this evening and with such good signals, I wanted to monitor JT9 to see if there was any activity on that mode. I called CQ few times with no luck. I then logged into HamSpots and saw fellow blogger and digital enthusiast was on 20 meter JT9! I decided to sit and monitor for a bit longer and I saw a signal appear on the waterfall. Once the software decoded, I was excited to see it was Dave, K5MQ! I did not catch Dave on his first CQ but I was able to snag him on his second call. QRZ shows us as 1,780 miles apart so I was hoping Dave could hear my 5 watt, indoor EndFedZ signal. And as luck would have it, he did!


My QSO with K5MQ
I was happy to have Dave as my first JT9 QSO from this new QTH. I've enjoyed Dave's blog for awhile now and it's always great to run into a familiar callsign. Our QSO was complete and just a few short minutes after answering Dave's CQ, I was adding him to my logbook. JT9 is turning out to be my new favorite mode. The small bandwidth certainly helps as there are times that JT65A can get pretty crowded around 14.076. JT9 does not seem as popular as JT65 (personal observation) but I think it's growing in popularity. I love the software WSJT-X as it operates both modes and can decode both at the same time. The best of both worlds in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil, great to see you're also very active with JT9. Hopefully it will promote things. There is plenty of room at the JT9 frequency. I find JT65 most often too crowded as well. I hope to meet you sometime but the time difference will be a hard thing I guess. I always keep an eye on HamSpots as well. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bas and yes, I'm hopeful we can have a digital QSO before long! I've worked into Europe on QRP so now I just need to be at the right place, at the right UTC time ;0). Thanks for helping to push me over into JT9!

    ReplyDelete