Sunday, January 25, 2015

Hard To Let Go, QSL?

As I continue to get settled and unpack many boxes, I find myself once again wondering how long I will be hanging onto my collection of QSL cards. I have each and every card I've ever received since hitting the power button on my brand new Icom IC-735 many years ago. As I continue to drag them along and as we begin to downsize, preparing for our retirement years (still have some time), I'm facing the same dilemma. Do I finally let go of my ham radio paper resume?      
This is my personal, hard copy, ham radio timeline and even though it has no monetary value (although I hate to think what I spent in getting many of them over the years) it has sentimental value that reaches farther than any country I've ever worked. I feel like a QSL hoarder and even though electronic QSL'ing is very big today, paper QSL cards are still very popular. Pictured here are just a few boxes of QSL cards and I have several more which I have yet to encounter as I unpack from my latest move. The QSL cards are not costing me anything and they only use up a bit of storage space in comparison to other items. But as we begin downsizing, every ounce counts. I keep asking myself, how long is long enough? Will I ever use these again? Not sure my kids will enjoy being stuck with them when I climb the mighty tower skyward. And as bureau cards continue to filter in over the next several years, the boxes will continue to grow.

For now, the boxes of accumulated contact confirmations will once again be placed in a closet or dark corner of a spare bedroom. I could easily recycle these to the curb but I keep wondering if it would be one of those actions I would regret later? Maybe it's finally time to live outside the box...   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Phil, I finally threw away most of the QSL cards last year. I only kept the important ones and the ones that had a really nice design. There are people that scan all those cards and store them in the computer. But what do you want to do with it? It's nice people exchange cards to get prove of their radio contact but once you have proven that what is the use of keeping the cards from so long ago? I think we have to look at the future and not at the past. The future is just exchanging info on the internet to prove a contact. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bas, very true. I will probably end up recycling them in the end but I sure do favor electronic anymore. It saves paper and of course, with postage costs today, it's very expensive to get just one card back, with no guarantee of course!

    ReplyDelete